welcome to destiny's strata!

PREMIUM - MATURE

The town seems like any other town. Simple, quiet on the exterior but digging beyond the surface will reveal a whole new world of deception, lies, and most of all, power. This is where the rich come to raise their families. But they all have their dirty little secrets. Isolating themselves from the rest of the world is the norm here, weeding out the 'bad seeds'. The children are raised with a sense of 'being privileged' and their parents encourage this. They go to private universities where they are taught to rule the world.

But there is one little problem...

The government says they have to allow a certain number of scholarships every year to the underprivileged kids or risk the closure of their schools. On the far end of town lives the poor, the down-trodden, and the downright scum of the earth, or, at least, that is how the upper class sees them. Mana Marrow tries to hide this embarrassment in their town but now, with the government intervening, they will have to allow some of these young adults to mix with their own precious, spoiled, and pampered offspring. The town comes together to form 'The Hetaireia', a secret society for the Elite, and figures out a way to make this work in their favor, however, and soon the lucky chosen underprivileged youth begin their university studies only to find that all is not as it seems. A hierarchy is born and they find themselves at the bottom rung, treated as less than second class citizens.

Will you be one of the privileged students that seem to rule the schools?
Or will you be one of the poor, who struggle for the acceptance that they may never find?
Or maybe you will be an adult, working in the town, the schools, or at the factory that supplies jobs for little pay and hard labor?

The choice is yours, so choose wisely!

Definitions:

Strata:
1) A level or class to which people are assigned according to their social status, education, or income.
2) A group into which members of a population are divided in stratified sampling.

Mana
A word found in Austronesian languages meaning "power, effectiveness, prestige", where in most cases the power is understood to be supernatural.

Hetaireia
1) Meaning 'Secret Society' in Latin.
2) A term in ancient greek for a corps of bodyguards during the Byzantine Empire. It means "the Company".

mana mar.
LOCATED: somewhere in the us
set in may, 2018
Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Add Reply
New Poll

'Power Tools' Charity Exhibit, OPEN RP!
Emilia Worthington
she/her
Artist (Painter)
11 POSTS
T
AKA Em
SEXUALITY: Homosexual
RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Married
PARTNER: James Worthington
~ Elites ~
(( TAG: OPEN RP! Elites, mostly, but Commoners can wander in, too ))

user posted image
{ OOC: The actual artist for these paintings is Kelly Reemtsen. }

Capitalizing somewhat on it being the Holidays and when money flowed more freely as people bought gifts for loved ones, friends, family, acquaintances, coworkers, etc, Emilia decided December would be the perfect month to host her first exhibit in... a while. Her husband owned Mana Marrow's Art Gallery, so the space was pretty much always just hers for the asking, and honestly, it really had just taken this long for her to amass enough artworks to merit an exhibit. Inspiration was a fickle thing, the ability to execute the myriad ideas floating around in her head even more so.

Now she was already working on a part II of sorts for this exhibit, but for now, it was Opening Night for part I, and there Emilia was in a flowy white blouse and cream trousers, peach pumps, schmoozing and rubbing elbows and welcoming people to her show, encouraging them to avail themselves of the glasses of champagne and white wine and finger foods being walked around on silver platters by the servers.

A sign at the door read:

'All Proceeds From Entry Tickets
and Purchases Made At This Exhibit
Will Be Donated To Charity
'
Nathaniel Doe
He / Him
popstar
35 POSTS
Alyoshka
AKA NARCISSUS
SEXUALITY: Pansexual
RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Single
PARTNER:
~ Elites ~

if it hurts you bad

put it on my tab i can pay it back tenfold

Nathaniel liked buying art now.

He'd liked art when he was little but things had been a lot different then. Mess hadn't been allowed because neither his mother nor his older brother had been too keen on mess (something Nathaniel himself had understood once his brother had left for university and he had found himself in charge of the younger children in the family). No mess meant no drawing on the walls and no paints and no mess meant no art, in short. He'd liked art, but he'd never been allowed to have much to do with it.

Now that he was older and, more importantly, had his own money, Nathaniel liked buying art. He was most specifically interested in expensive art. He liked to spend his money.

Having heard something about an art exhibition by one of the elite women, Nathaniel had decided to attend and called his assistant to book a ticket with plans to, maybe, find something he might be interested in buying. He'd picked up a glass of champagne on his way in and was now glancing around at the artwork, as well as, out of the corner of his eye, at the woman he assumed to be the artist drifting around. Hmph. Obviously, she was the person to ask about the price.

"Oy," Nathaniel greeted the woman, vaguely trying to recall her name from all the promotional stuff around the place. "How much are these? Chainsaw."

tag

Emilia Worthington
she/her
Artist (Painter)
11 POSTS
T
AKA Em
~ Elites ~

AND MONSTERS LIE THERE

So far, so friggin' good. Attendance was excellent, as intended, as expected, including celebrities both from within Mana Marrow itself to others from the rest of the world, all of them here to see and admire her works, as well as potentially purchase them for themselves or for others. The buying part, that was par for the course, after all, this was how she made her living, and a good living it was at that.

What wasn't quite to the norm was one of the guests asking her directly over pricing...? Typically, the questions she would be asked would be questions about the artwork itself. Pointing out little details, trying to pry some kind of deeper meanings she may be trying to convey, if any, or just asking about her thought process in creating it in general. Because usually, as was the case for that night, there were full price lists of all the pieces currently on display... at the front desk, where anyone could take one, with the assumption that only those who may be interested in actually buying anything would take one, and the rest who may only be there to simply view the works could ignore them and move on.

OR. If they were looking to haggle down the price, they would usually do that with the gallery owner AKA her husband, who was of course there that night with her, considering that was his job.

But all right. She could take this in stride. Never mind that he also greeted her with a very rude 'Oy' instead of by her name, which wasn't anything to sniff at, to be sure, and even if he didn't know who she was going in, he really should have paid more attention to the signs all over the place that broadcasted them, yes. He... was just going to be one of those guys who could star in Art Gallery Etiquette: What NOT To Do, wasn't he?

What a shame. She did know who he was, even if she wasn't a huge fan, but she'd had girlfriends and flings who were, and she did like his music. Listened to it now and then while she painted sometimes, even. Maybe not anymore now, depending on how this little conversation went.

With a smile professionally bright and friendly, she greeted him back, "Mr. Narcissus! What a delight to see you at my humble showing. Which of the two chainsaw pieces were you looking at, exactly?" For there were two, one with a pink-and-white striped dress, and the other with a green dress with black polka dots. They were, in fact, the centerpieces of the show, and the most popular ones. People and chainsaws... "One of them is $17,500, and the other is $19,500."
Nathaniel Doe
He / Him
popstar
35 POSTS
Alyoshka
AKA NARCISSUS
SEXUALITY: Pansexual
RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Single
PARTNER:
~ Elites ~

if it hurts you bad

put it on my tab i can pay it back tenfold

"Mm, I'm sure it is. My manager said I should come for publicity and that's good for you and your art too, I guess, so here I am," Nathaniel answered, glancing just slightly behind her as he took another look over the painting he was intent on buying - another look because it wasn't like he could totally see all that well in these sunglasses but damn did they look good on him - the one of the girl in the pink and white dress. It had been a difficult choice but, after staring at the several paintings on display for a good enough while, Nathaniel had decided that the one of the girl in pink showed the most leg and was, therefore, the best choice. He would have preferred it if it had shown off a little more but Nathaniel was mildly assuming the artist wouldn't be in the mood to repaint the whole piece like that?

Whatever.

She'd said some price but, really, Nathaniel hadn't completely heard it. Something thousand, had she said? Whatever. It wasn't as though he'd ever been planning not to buy the artwork at some point. Actually, speaking of buying it, was there a way he could do this without actually paying for it? Couldn't he get the record company to pay for this as some sort of necessary expense? Having a better-decorated hotel room seemed like a necessity to him. "The pink. Can we round the price? I wasn't entirely listening. Oh, and hold it for me. I'm going to have to see if I can have it paid for."

Taking his first sip of the champagne in his hand, he stepped slightly towards the painting in question, mildly gesturing for Emilia to follow with him since he wasn't entirely done talking to her. "Your champagne is awful, you know. I know it's free but you could have tried, at least." Nathaniel gave a little contemptuous snort and set the glass down on some sort of plinth-looking table to one side. Actually, it was getting pretty hot in here too and it wasn't as though anyone had taken his coat when he'd come in (or rather, he'd ignored the request to do so) so Nathaniel pulled the offending item of clothing off and dropped it on the table beside his glass. "Why did you paint this, then? Are you into tools or something?"

tag

Elizabeth Pritchard
she / her
ravenswood highmistress
5 POSTS
alyoshka
AKA
SEXUALITY: heterosexual
RELATIONSHIP STATUS: widowed
PARTNER:
~ Ravenswood Faculty ~

All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players

When Mark had been alive, he and Ilsa had often visited art galleries. Never to buy, not really, but just to look. They'd always enjoyed looking at the artwork and talking about it. It had been their special thing, so to say. But, ever since he'd died, she'd found it far harder to visit. There was simply something about looking at art like this without Mark that seemed almost wrong, like it infiltrated on their private past. Yet here she was, visiting an art gallery for an exhibition. Not just a regular exhibition either but a proper showing.

She'd shown up early and picked up a price list on her way in with mild intentions to purchase something. Of course, most things were likely to be far outside her price range - Ilsa was hardly poor when it came to her salary but she didn't have enough to casually dish out nearly twenty thousand dollars for a piece of art - but it was always nice to peruse. Perhaps there would be something that really struck her so much that she might be willing to dish out a little extra or something that, surprisingly, she could actually afford. Future investments.

The artist was clearly preoccupied with some young ruffian who clearly wasn't aware of how to act appropriately, in a gallery, so Ilsa offered her a polite young smile and then moved over to take a look at the painting of a woman holding an axe.
Emilia Worthington
she/her
Artist (Painter)
11 POSTS
T
AKA Em
~ Elites ~

AND MONSTERS LIE THERE

Um. Excuse you?

First of all, while yes, any and every bit of publicity for her exhibits were appreciated, she was far from a no-name starving artist of middling talent who needed it, having already proven her skill and made a place for herself in the art world. And yes, he was a rising pop star, but did he really have to be so arrogant about it? Honestly, if she wasn't already a lesbian to begin with, she couldn't possibly have found him more off-putting than she did now.

Oh, wait, she could. Apparently, every time he opened his mouth, it was to spew worse things than the last. Em's eyes crinkled at the corners as she smiled at the man who was likely half her age. The only 'tool' here is you! YOU!! she thought viciously at him, even with the professionally charming smile still plastered on her face.

It was a battle not to roll her eyes at him, and when he turned his back to her, still being extremely rude all the while, she vividly imagined him being on the wrong end of that painted chainsaw he was leaning towards. Plop! Off with his head! Then she had to look away from him before she downright glared, which, she wasn't about to stoop to doing since he could be rude if he wanted, but clearly he was just too base to reach her level of decorum.

When her eyes met that of her twin girls' Highmistress, though, she couldn't help but raise her brows and slightly widen her eyes, flicking her glance at the young man to silently communicate her outrage, as in 'Can You Believe This Guy??' She quickly smoothed out her expression, though, and began to make her excuses, since she would really rather not waste more of her time in his presence. Also, that she had to make sure he didn't end up with one of her paintings. She would convince one of her friends to outbid him if she had to!

"Please do excuse me. I have other guests I must greet and chat with. Ta!" Making it sound like he had a choice to let her go or not, but really, she highly doubted there was anything he could do to get her to stay and listen to his casual offensiveness and useless prattle and inane questions. Hopefully, Ilsa would be able to rescue her from him.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

sknned by vanessa of shine and caution